Why do some people insist on being just digital visitors? ... It's me! Hi. I'm the problem it's me!



www.pxfuel.com



What is a Digital visitor? Well, it may very well be accurately described by using me and my attitude towards digital connectivity and relation to technology as an example. First, in my life and the way that I live with and relate myself to technology, I have never developed a natural aptitude for using technology. For me technology is first and foremost a tool that I use in my profession as a researcher and teacher. My "backyard" is legal databases, governmental authorities' home pages, and occassionally also selected Twitter, Linkedin and ResearchGate accounts of researchers who I know and have added to my list of contacts myself. In my visitor mode I hardly ever leave a footprint behind by making comments or engaging with the account owner (White & Le Cornu, 2011)

The question that I have been asking myself for some time (though before entering the course Open Networked Learning without being aware of the developed scientific distinction between visitors and residents) is whether I should change my attitude and behaviour online? And indeed also, do I want to? I think of myself as a semi-social creature. I enjoy the company of others and absolutely renew my energy levels in social interaction, discussion and every day conversations. But I don´t need it. I am very happy going on my own adventures, finding out about life and making new experiences on my own without the distraction of and exposure to what other people think, know or wish to share with me. 

Clearly, since I have enrolled myself into a course that targets e.g., digital literacy, the answer that I have arrived at is that I think I should develop a new strategy to my online behaviour and start to actively explore my potential as a digital resident persona. I believe that it is important (and research seem to agree with me, that it is important; Developing digital literacies (2014) JISC guide) that I expand my professional engagment and practices to the wider online research community, learn how to collaborate in online settings, increase my ICT literacy and actively participate in digital networks.

It will mean stepping out of my comfort zone, posting this on my very own blog is my first staggered step. Doing this (and I don´t mean the blogging in itself, although one never knows!) will undoubtedly contribute to my own development as a researcher - and teacher. My intention, as a teacher and course director at the law programme at Stockholm University, is that I will be able to use my own progression and digital literacy development to help and inspire our talented and energetic law students to do the same - the students that I meet almost every week and whom I cherise and treasure as the future of our legal society and defenders of justice!

By actively engaging myself as a learner I hope to be better equipped to stay intuned with my students level of digital competence and also use this knowledge when I design my courses and decide what the relevant learning outcomes of my courses should be, and which technology I should use to help my students reach them. For instance by providing them with assessment tools that they can use to find out more about their level of digital competence, regardless of wheter they perceive themselves to posses high level skills or not, and regardless of wheteher this self-perception is accurate - which is not always the case (Littlejohn et. al (2012)), and giving them support to develop their skills in the particular areas that are useful for them (for example using a test to discover their digital literacies,like the one develped by the PriDE project at the University of Bath)        

If you are interested in these questions as well, and wan´t to know more about students levels of digital literacy, how you can identify and develop your own digital literacy, I recommend you to start with reading the sources that I have mentioned here - in my first blog post ever!


Comments

  1. Hi Elisabeth,
    In my case, it is opposite case such that I am engaged with technology in professional activities and always tend to put the technology behind when the clock reaches to off-time. That is the thing I am dealing with it thanks to our ONL journey. Also I agree with you that some of us are moving away their comfort zones. This situation reminds me a famous quote of Charles F. Glassman, "Even the smallest changes in our daily routine can create incredible ripple effects that expand our vision of what is possible." From this aspect, digital world brings us an opportunity for advancement.
    I believe this will help a lot for understanding the feeling and struggles upcoming teaching period will introduce us.
    I would like to say I will look forward to read your upcoming posts
    Mehmet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and sharing the apt qoute - if it is something that I have learnt during this course it is that taking even the smallest step can enlarge your mind and creativity through leaps

      Delete
  2. I soo resonate with your post! I am definitely a digital visitor, and I don't know if I will ever apply for citizenship, honestly. I love taking part in what the internet has to offer, but I have never ever felt part of the online community, even when literally joining online communities such as closed facebook groups etc. Somehow I feel like I have grown out of the digital community, and I only have Facebook because I joined when I was rather young. I would not join today, I don't have Instagram and even my LinkedIn account has been ignored for years. This is of course stupid, and I know there is a lot to benefit from becoming more into the digital world. For me, I think I am not really comfortable with the presumed level of interest in my life that comes with posting personal stuff in an open media. All the while I genuinly enjoy takin part in other people's posts etc.

    I fully agree that staying in touch with the digital world is extremely beneficial as a teacher, if not a pre-requisite to be a good one. I have been really positively surprised by all the tools I came across during this course, and that has for sure motivated me to spend a little more time visiting the digital world...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is also the strength in learning together, and sharing our thoughts. I definietly find it more easy to explore new tools now, and enjoy it more! thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on taking the brave leap into the world of digital residents! It's not always an easy transition, especially when you've been comfortable as a digital visitor, but I believe it's a worthwhile endeavor. Your transparency about your journey is quite refreshing, and your intention to leverage your learning to benefit your students is commendable. It's essential to remember that every step you take, no matter how small it feels, is progress. As a fellow educator, I understand the value of staying in tune with our students' digital competencies. Your blog post has served as a reminder of this, and I'm sure it will inspire others in their digital journeys as well. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kieron! we need to contibute to creating the online community in which we would like to live. First step is to learn how to get on with the tools... :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh no. Group work...

Small steps towards digital open learning creativity